Germfree’s bioGO® Mobile Biocontainment Laboratories offer the ideal solution for providing surge capacity for laboratory services during periods of emergency. By utilizing a fully equipped, turnkey, Mobile Biocontainment Laboratory, facilities are able to rapidly increase their volume without sacrificing capabilities. Each mobile facility is engineered and constructed to meet or exceed the CDC NIH BMBL guidelines for BSL-2 laboratories and
the World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines for BSL3 laboratories.
Germfree – Proven track record in deploying advanced laboratory capacity globally Germfree has been manufacturing innovative laboratory solutions for nearly six decades. Our mobile and modular biocontainment units deliver critical laboratory capacity in the US and throughout the world.
Germfree is the only manufacturer that provides a single-source, OEM solution for both the laboratory
and all critical containment equipment. Our leading-edge engineering teams and subject-matter experts
are located at our 173,000ft2 US manufacturing plant.Germfree’s turnkey mobile and modular units meet the most stringent biocontainment requirements and provide critical infrastructure for global health security.
- External Dimensions:
- 290” (7.37M) L x 1011/4” (2.57M) W x 1023/4” (2.61M) H
- Internal Dimensions:
- 601/4” (1.53M) L x 923/4” (2.36M) W x 10513/16” (2.29M) H
- Internal Dimensions:
- 1811/4” (4.6M) L x 923/4” (2.36M) W x 10513/16” (2.29M) H
Walls and Ceiling
- Seamless wall system
- Panels come in 40 foot lengths to minimize wall seams
- Corners permanently sealed with an epoxy compound specifically designed for this purpose
- The end result is a monolithic barrier that is durable and easily cleaned
- Finished floor will be a high performance, homogenous, welded seam sheet polyurethane floor
- Type 304 Stainless Steel work casework
- Purpose built, all welded construction with adjustable shelving
Germfree’s bioGO Mobile Biocontainment Laboratories are turnkey biocontainment facilities suited for immediate deployment within the continental United States.
- Emergency Disease Surveillance
- Temporary Laboratory Space during facility down time
- Laboratory Swing Space
- Any application where microbiological containment laboratory space is required
bioGO Laboratories are designed to be powered from shore power and are equipped with an automatic transfer switch for integration to locally available generators to provide redundancy in case of power outages or fluctuations.
Advanced Design and Engineering
bioGO Biocontainment Laboratories comply with the NIH CDC Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL) 5th edition guidelines for BSL-2. Standard enhancements such as an anteroom, directional airflow, HEPA filtered supply air, and HEPA filtered exhaust air provide added safety for the operators, samples, and the environment. These enhancements allow the laboratory to meet the guidelines for World Health Organization (WHO) Biosafety Level 3.
Flexibility of Operations
Our mobile containment laboratories are designed by a team of biocontainment experts to provide the optimal safety for the handling of biologically contaminated materials. This allows the facility to be effectively utilized for manipulating samples required to be handled in a containment laboratory environment.
Germfree’s bioGO Mobile Biocontainment Laboratories are engineered and equipped for the most efficient workflow. The facility is divided into designated work zones. Each zone provides HEPA filtered supply air and the primary containment equipment required for a safe sample flow throughout the laboratory process. Additionally, we strategically place stainless steel workstations, transfer airlocks, storage and supply areas, gowning benches, and staging tables.
Layout Germfree’s 24’ bioGO Mobile Biocontainment
Laboratories are designed with 2 Distinct Work Zones:
This room serves as an air break to the trailer exterior and as a space for personnel to don their Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). The area is equipped with shelves for storing PPE, a hand washing sink and a gowning bench. The anteroom is maintained at positive pressure relative to the outside to provide an additional barrier to the air cascading into the BSL-2 laboratory. Pressure gauges at the door display room pressures, and have alarms to indicate unsafe conditions due to changes in the differential pressures between the rooms. The interior door can be operated hands-free.
This laboratory area exceeds BMBL 5th edition Laboratory Facility guidelines for BSL-2 and meets World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines for BSL-3 laboratories. The room air externally exhausted through HEPA filters. The room is equipped with two (2) Class II, Type A2 Biological Safety Cabinets to protect the product and personnel. One of the Class II Type A2 Biological Safety Cabinets is exhausted to the exterior through a HEPA Filter to capture potentially infectious aerosols. Ample storage space is provided by the custom casework as well as an integrated laboratory refrigerator. All casework is stainless steel with seamless welds, coved corners and radiused edges and is compatible with all standard gas and vapor decontamination systems.
A heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system is installed in the bioGO facility. The HVAC system is engineered to maintain a comfortable working temperature and humidity, and provides an inward flow of air into the BSL-2 laboratory.
Connections for utility power and/or auxiliary generator inputs are provided via transfer switch. Diesel electric generator packages are optionally available and can be supplied by local equipment rental companies.
Electrical requirements will vary be region. Germfree will configure the laboratory power to meet any international standard.
Shore Power Requirements: 110-230V, 50/60Hz, 3Ph, 60A
- Single point connection
- Shore power inputs are provided
The plumbing system includes an on-board fresh water tank and an on-demand electric water pump to provide running water for the sinks. The capacity of the laboratory water tank is supplemented by a connection to a water utility tap. The fresh water tank is equipped with a low-level monitor. A gray water tank is designed to be gravity drained. The laboratory will arrive completely plumbed, ready for connection to water supply and drain lines. The gray water tank is equipped with a high-level monitor.
- Stainless Steel Sink in anteroom
- Includes emergency eyewash
- 20 Gal on Board fresh water tank
- Compatibility for connection to a water utility tap
- 2.4 kW on-demand electric water pump
- 25-Gal gray water tanks
- Gravity drained or storage for batch dumping
- PEX supply and CPVC drain lines
- Single Point of connection
Controls, Communications & Recording Systems
(12) Data ports are provided for network instruments, computer workstations and printers. Cables are run in shielded chases to a patch panel in the Anteroom. Telephone port is provided in the Anteroom.
Also included are:
- Intercom System
- Fire / Burglar System
- BMS – Environmental Monitoring
Cameras and Monitors
Digital video cameras and a digital video recorder (DVR) provide perimeter security. Interior and exterior cameras provide live local video.
- CCTV system (8 cameras, DVR capable of recording 30 days of video)
Data / Phone Network
- All data terminated into a patch panel in the Anteroom
- Computer and printer provided by end user
- Data rack can support customer supplied switch
- Cables in shielded chases
- Telephone port will be provided in the Anteroom
- Keyless entry main door
Testing & Quality Control
Germfree’s bioGO Quality Process is designed to evaluate performance as well as fit and finish of every system on our mobile platform. Evaluation and testing is conducted on all components and aspects of the facility. Germfree’s Quality Control Team employs a checklist based system during a rigorous trial period. All systems are thoroughly vetted and documented in real world conditions before the bioGO is allowed to leave our manufacturing facility. Germfree’s commitment is to provide a complete, standalone facility with zero defects, ready and installed with complete confidence at our customer’s site.
Germfree’s mobile biocontainment laboratories are designed to be exceptionally durable. To achieve this, only the highest grade, cleanroom-compatible materials are used in the facility’s construction.
The interior walls are constructed of an exclusive high performance composite that provides a seamless
interior suitable for frequent wash-downs with sanitizing agents as well as gas bio-decontamination.
The floor is seamless vinyl, coved up the walls, and epoxy-sealed to the walls for ease-of-cleaning.
All work surfaces are seamless stainless steel with casework designed for gas and vapor phase decontamination. Surfaces are coved for easy spill cleanup and sanitization. Edges are rounded and polished to avoid snagging Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Prior to delivery of the bioGO Mobile Facility, Germfree’s service department will work with you to determine what site work needs to be completed before installation can occur.
Pre-installation Consultation can include:
- Pre-installation Consultation can include:
- Overall Location of the unit and the surroundings
- Power supply
- Data cables and integration
- Fresh/waste water connections
- Laboratory exhaust discharge assessment
- Location grade assessment
Germfree site visit for installation consultation
Germfree technician/s will be on-site after delivery to assist with installation, setup, and to provide training on the startup and daily operation of the facility.
Cleaning & Bio-decontamination
bioGO Mobile Facilities receive a thorough construction cleaning before they are deployed. Germfree has validated a bio-decontamination process that can be performed on location via vaporized / ionized hydrogen peroxide (VHP/IHP).
Each mobile laboratory is delivered with a full set of asbuilt drawings and a factory acceptance test summary.
Additional documentation, if necessary, can be requested from your project manager.
Commissioning and Qualification (C&Q)
Commissioning and qualification is performed consistent with current industry best practices.
A Commissioning & Qualification Master Plan (CQMP) is utilized to define the requirements and methodologies for the commissioning & qualification (C&Q) of the facility, utilities, systems, and automation within the scope of the build and qualification phase.
The overall C&Q approach will utilize industry standard risk-based methodology and leveraging activities. This plan will describe a systematic, efficient, and effective way of ensuring that systems and equipment function and operate according to intended use, without duplication of effort and testing.
Commissioning includes Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT), Site Acceptance Testing (SAT), Construction Q/A and Commissioning Test Plans. The Verification is the performance and documented evidence of testing completed within the commissioning process.
Qualification will be conducted for all direct impact system in scope.
Standards & Codes
Germfree’s bioGO Mobile Biocontainment Laboratories meet or exceed the requirements of the CDC NIH BMBL 5th edition for BSL-2 Laboratories. Via enhancements beyond BMBL requirements, the bioGO Mobile Biocontainment Laboratory units comply with the WHO Laboratory Biosafety Manual for BSL-3 laboratories.
A dedicated project manager will oversee all aspects of your laboratory purchase from order through delivery. In so doing, it is possible to guarantee a seamless transition into your bioGO Mobile Biocontainment Laboratory.
Germfree’s bioGO Mobile Biocontainment Laboratories are delivered fully-equipped and ready for on-site commissioning. The standard configuration consists of:
- Shelves / Casework for storing PPE
- Stainless steel hand washing sink
- Gowning bench
- Two (2) Class II Type A Biosafety Cabinets
- One (1) Model BBF-3SSRX
- One (1) Model BBF-4SSRX
- Outer cabinet and work surface are welded stainless steel with a #4 pharmaceutical grade finish
- Front lifting viewing panel is easily removed and is gasketed to provide a proper seal when in place
- Ergonomic front panel of the biological safety cabinet is concave permitting operator to lean into work area, enhancing user comfort
- High capacity motor/blower system with speed control to extend the life of the HEPA filter
- Supply and exhaust HEPA filters are parallel to work area and each other to prevent turbulence
- Removable stainless steel work tray and tray supports facilitate easy clean up of the biological safety cabinet
- Separate lighted power ON/OFF indicator switches for blower and lighting
- Electrical is 115 Volt, 60 Hz
- 220/50-60 Hz also available
- Ten foot power cord with molded grounded plug
- Constructed to allow for optional outside venting of exhaust air from the biosafety cabinet
- Custom casework provides ample storage space
- Standard laboratory refrigerator
- Top-loading autoclave
- The preparation areas consist of stainless steel countertops with seamless welds, coved corners and radiused edges
We will deliver our products on time, as promised, and free from defects.
We will strive to exceed expectations at every level and we will work to make sure that each customer is satisfied with the service that they receive.
All of our products are constructed from the highest quality materials and are designed to operate reliably for decades. We stand behind our work and take pride in our superior craftsmanship.
Germfree has been a leading innovator in aseptic control and isolation systems since 1962.
We design and manufacture a diverse range of equipment and facilities for life science applications.
Our systems are integral to critical processes across many sectors. We specialize in complex projects and custom applications that serve the rigorous demands of our clients. Our high-specification bioGO Modular Facilities operate across the world, and are sustainable as permanent facilities in remote regions with harsh conditions.